Successful candidates will typically be Singaporean citizens or Permanent Residents aged between 16 to 18 in Secondary 4/5 or JC/Polytechnic Year 1 (or equivalent) at the time of application and demonstrate the following qualities:
- Intellectual curiosity and good academic standing, which indicate an ability to cope with the rigorous IB programme
- A generally high degree of self-awareness and emotional maturity
- Generally independent-minded
- Willingness to befriend and learn from people whose ideas, beliefs and cultural backgrounds may be very different to their own
- The ability to actively participate in and to contribute to college life (relevant qualities include commitment to service, open-mindedness, enthusiasm, balance, adaptability, emotional resilience, etc.)
- Clear articulation of one’s values and viewpoints
- A track record of active and lived commitment to the UWC values and beliefs within the candidate's abilities and opportunities
- International and intercultural understanding
- Celebration of difference
- Personal responsibility and integrity
- Mutual responsibility and respect
- Compassion and service
- Respect for the environment
- A sense of idealism
- Personal challenge
- Action and personal example
If you are neither a Singaporean Citizen nor a Permanent Resident of Singapore, please contact us at email@example.com before applying.
Applicants for the UWC Singapore Needs-Based Scholarship 2023 need to be 16 years old by the end of 2022.
This is in line with the age of students who go through Singapore’s public education system and apply for the scholarship in their Secondary 4 Year (or equivalent) for entry to the UWC IB Diploma Programme the following year.